Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'm overwhelmed!!!

The volcano in Iceland caused Heathrow and other airports to close...we flew out of Boston on Swiss Air - to Zurich and then on to Rome - and were one of the last flights out before Zurich had to close down!
Oh my - the flight to Zurich was amazing. We were in business class and were able to lie down. The food was fabulous. If I had not been so excited, I would have been able to sleep!
And finally we were in Rome. It suddenly hit me how delighted I was to be seeing Marlyse again. We had a long wait for baggage in the airport, then a long ride to the city. I remembered Rome (the only city until London where I had been in my teens) as an amazing combination of the new and the ancient. It was more gorgeous than I remembered! We got washed up at the Hotel Victoria and went out for a walk with Marlyse - we hit the ground running! First we went across the street from our hotel where there is a huge city park - the Borghese Gardens (thank you Phil). There are formal gardens in the center and they were blooming. Then we went to the Via Veneto and shopping area. The orange trees lined the streets - in bloom with fruit and flowers and smell - just glorious. It is not unlike NYC with all sorts of people...but you are walking amidst ancient buildings, amazing sculptures, etc.!
I finally met Marlyse's husband, Phil's brother in law Ludy who arranged our stay at this beautiful old hotel! It was an immediate connection and we began laughing right away.
We also soon met Jane, a woman who had met Marlyse and Ann (Phil's mom) on the cruise and was returning for the final leg. Ludy found a restaurant for us to dine casually and we spent the first of what I am sure will be many nights around the table with amazing food and wine and laughter.
We were exhausted and slept well that night although not long enough as we had to get up and drive to the ship embarkation port. Still we had the opportunity to linger over breakfast and visit further with Jane and Marlyse preparing us to meet some of the personalities on the cruise...
Finally we got to the ship and were able to board early, giving us a chance to walk around, sit by the pool, and meet a few people. Ludy was also able to stay with us for the afternoon. Then he left to drive on to Livorno - our first stop - while we had our first dinner in the main dining room. The people at our table are a friendly, lively bunch and we felt so welcomed so quickly. They tend to be one of the last tables to leave the dining room - and they are already at the second seating. By the time we finished with our meal (fantastic), we were ready for bed.
So now we have our 'home' at sea and it is very comfortable...and yet I was up reading at 3:00 am - not able to settle down yet! I did fall asleep but had to awaken with an alarm as we were to meet Ludy for a day in Tuscany! I NEVER imagined I would ever get there in my life - and here we were. The drive is breath=taking - very green and lush with more and more vineyards as we approached the town where we had a reservation for lunch. This town (don't have the spelling right now) is built on a hill and all the buildings are ancient. You can see where the stone doorways were at some point. Shops line the streets and it seems like one continuous building. The restaurant specializes in the 'slow food' concept with everything totally fresh and prepared on site. Only Phil actually ordered a main course...everything was superb. We all seem to be comfortable eating from each other's plates to try things and we try everything! I believe Ludy has the most exotic appetite (for me). And he has been so wonderful schlepping us all over and making all these arrangements. Best of all, it is being with family!
So we returned to our ship and are now ready for a party in the casual dining room as we leave Italy for Spain! I still cannot believe this is me and I am here! I realize I am not even explaining these experiences as clearly as I had hoped. We have been taking photos - all of us - and later Phil will download them so I can put them up.
I just feel so lucky and so blessed. Not the least, I am so happy to be with Phil.

2 comments:

  1. The girls said to tell you Hi. It sounds like a fairy tale experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear you got there before the volcano shut down travel. I love LOVE love that you started this blog so I can live vicariously by reading this. You are explaining things very well. Have I told you how happy I am for you? Can't wait to see the pictures...but keep writing - I am reading and loving it all!

    ReplyDelete