Monday, April 26, 2010

Bilbao, Spain

Alas, yesterday I was really too sick with my cold to do anything but sleep (and eat...and eat...and eat!). I managed to go downstairs for lunch as it was the 'buffet' featuring all the best offerings of the entire cruise.
Let me explain. From December through April, Crystal Cruises offers a 'world cruise' which incorporates a number of various 'legs' covering a very large part of the world. Ann (aka Big Ma) has been part of the world cruise for 3 years. Phil and I joined for the final leg of the cruise although people go off and on at many ports. Those who travel for the entire world cruise become a family of sorts. They come to know each other quite well. We have been 'adopted' by the many friends made by Big Ma and by Marlyse who also joined the cruise for the first few weeks. Many of the activities we are participating in have been occurring for all these weeks.
The lunch buffet is the time when Crystal honors it's various chefs. Everything is quite amazing - ice scuptures, tables laden with baked goods, desserts, cheeses, meats, fish, pasta, and etc. To me the most outstanding items were the eggs prepared as penguins...and the dessert table which had maps painted on marzipan. The food not only is gorgeous, it tastes amazing as well. The only thing less than fabulous is the coffee (which I find very weird). I had been gaining weight slowly over the past few years but after this trip I am truly planning on really cutting back on calories and upping my exercise. I have been walking every day (except for yesterday when I did sleep most of the time) and I did swim a couple of days, however, we sit down to unbelievable feasts constantly...and last night was no exception. We ate at the sushi bar part of Nobu, the Japanese restaurant. Phil did most of the ordering. I am a newby to sushi and I find I don't like seaweed but I love mostly everything else!
After dinner Phil and I went to the evening entertainment which was a magic show. It was really really excellent although it was a pretty small audience.
Today our port was Bilbao, Spain. It is Basque country, noted for the Guggenheim Museum. Marlyse, Phil, and I took a tour arranged by the ship that was a walking tour with a 'tapas' lunch. (Food, once again!)
Again, this is a city that is so ancient and so lovely. There are 7 small streets that all lead into the city center where vehicles are only allowed until about 11 am - then it is all pedestrian. We saw the outside of the Guggenheim and the river front, then took a cable car to the old part of the city where we entered a church and walked the streets. The city was not long ago a very industrial, dirty site (apparently) with a dirty river/canal but it is all being cleaned and remodeled. We took a quick walk through the marketplace being revitalized as well. Our lunch took place at an outdoor cafe in a lovely city square, then it was a return on our bus to the ship where I was really exhausted and fell asleep!
Tomorrow is our final port of call in La Rochelle, France. We will have one sea day before ending up in Southampton, England, the end of the World Cruise. At the beginning of our vacation people were confused and worried about the impact of the volcano on air travel. We kept hearing reports about people stranded all over Europe. As we get closer to the end, things seem to be smoother. Of course, many of the other passengers have quite a bit of luggage having been on board for months. Also, the passengers tend to be older and more frail so travel is just more difficult.
I do want to add that as we travel, I am reading 'A People's History of the United States' by Howard Zinn. This does not give a very glowing view of the U.S. In fact, it is rather upsetting. It does give me an interesting perspective on the U.S. while traveling.
Our ship is getting ready to leave the port at this time...

1 comment:

  1. Your trip sounds amazing! I'd love to see pictures - the marzipan deserts with the map (cool!). I read the Zinn book for a class and was somewhat skeptical of some of what he wrote, although it does provide another view of history. I agree that it was upsetting.

    ReplyDelete