Sunday, May 2, 2010

hello from Zurich

Perhaps I must start thinking of Zurich as a 'home away from home'. We are here living for a week with Big Ma, about a 10-minute (or less) drive from Marlyse and her husband Ludy. Their apartments overlook Lake Zurich with the mountains on the opposite side. The weather has been mild and some rain yesterday and today but the first two days it was perfectly sunny. As you fly into this area, it is very green with farms everywhere and gorgeous mountains and lakes. Zurich is a very busy city with beautiful architecture housing very modern businesses and people. On our first full day we walked around the old city which is closed to car traffic after a certain hour in the morning. Later Ludy drove us around (trying to find a shop I wanted to see) and showed us the part of the city he grew up in - the old Jewish section. Yesterday we went to see a special exhibit at the main art museum of the (mostly impressionist) masters. The most important thing here in Zurich is family. Our first evening was spent at a local restaurant where Marlyse and Ludy's son Ruben joined us for dinner. As it turns out, only last night Zurich began not allowing smoking in restaurants - that was the only unpleasant thing we had to experience, really. (And Phil already seems to have incurred a speeding ticket...).
The second night was Shabbat and we ate at Marlyse's house with Ludy's son Greggie and his wife Olga present. Immediately I felt warm and welcomed and part of the family. Yesterday, after the art museum, we found Marlyse's high school yearbook and spent some time looking at that and getting caught up on people we all knew 'back then'. This makes it easy to feel part of the family as I have some common history with Marlyse.
Last night Ludy threw a party at a tiny neighborhood Italian restaurant (we had it to ourselves) with his and Marlyse's friends (contemporaries). Also, Ruben's girlfriend Nicole was there so I felt I have met the basic family now! Everyone spoke English quite well and so I got to have some excellent conversations. At one point my entire table waited to hear what I thought about Obama as president. The Swiss seem to really like him and have great hopes for the U.S. Again, as everywhere else I have been, Americans are actually liked. I think that compared to people from other countries, they find us easy and open and friendly without airs. It is so funny to me that I used to think everything European or from other places was more exotic or special than American things but what I see is that America has given so much to the world! Things in Zurich are wonderful and special - I am loving the food especially the cheese (naturally) and the art and the cleanliness and the ease of public access - but I do not feel compelled to give up American things! And in the final look, what is really important are the experiences I am having making new friends and laughing with people, sharing stories and finding common ground. I feel so fortunate to have Marlyse, Ludy, Ruben, Greggie, Olga, Nicole, not to exclude Big Ma, in my life!
Tonight we are to be honored with a dinner by Big Ma's close friend Maggie and tomorrow, for our final evening (I think...if it is Tuesday this must be...) we will celebrate Marlyse's birthday. Obviously we will need a vacation after our vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment